Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Not Since the Deliveryman Called me Harry Bellafonte...

Yes, yes, the concert last Saturday went well. Lots of fun, even if it was a little tense because about half of our audience (5 of 11 people) were musicians, meaning they probably could catch it when I screwed up. Still, one guy was enthusiastic enough to ask for three encores, and we had a nice little session time after the show where the audience came up to play a few numbers. And we played one more, too.

Before the show, we had a rather interesting encounter with a Japanese man whose name escapes me (not an uncommon phenomenon) who seemed keen on America to the point of...well, oddity. A few of his points (as best I could understand them) are here enumerated (and no, I really didn't make any of these up):

1. Japanese people are all very short compared to foreigners.

2. Japan has way more homeless people than America does.
2a. Furthermore, Japanese homeless people are ugly and smell bad.
2b. By contrast, American homeless people are certainly all attractive.

3. Japanese people cannot grow facial hair well.
3a. Foreigners, who can grow excellent facial hair, all look like Charles Bronson.

It's really refreshing, especially after some recent nastiness, to confirm that even the people who really like America still have no idea what foreigners are actually like.

1 comment:

  1. A. Really disappointed that link didn't take me to a clip of your performance.
    B. "Fuck You"? Really? Jammin' tune (that's what you kids say, right?) but seriously lame lyrics. Harry Nilsson said it better in 1971 with "You're Breaking My Heart"

    http://www.elyrics.net/read/h/harry-nilsson-lyrics/you_re-breakin_-my-heart-lyrics.html

    And maybe I've gotten entirely off topic here, but I'm not jiggy with the n word - not by anyone, black or white.

    ReplyDelete